Monday 4 June 2012

A Very Jubilee Weekend

I know, the title doesn't even make sense, but I couldn't think of any jubilee-related puns to use.

Can I just start by saying congrats to Her Majesty? 60 years is a long, long time. In fact, it's four times the length of time I have spent on this Earth. It's weird when I put it that way...

Yesterday, we went to London. We being me, my dad and my sisters. We had a couple of aims:

1) Visit our family
2) See the flotilla

Unfortunately, only one of these aims was fulfilled - the first one. We were a couple of streets away from the Thames, but the police weren't letting any more people through. We were amongst the millions that were turned away. It was very disappointing.

Today, we went to some street parties in Town. I didn't really like them, to be honest. The music was good, but there was nothing to do apart from getting utterly gazebo-ed (tell me in the comments if you understood the Michael McIntyre reference!), and that wasn't what we wanted to do. So we just left.

Here in Manchester, I love the whole proud-to-be-British vibe. Buntings (for some reason, I find that word hilarious) are hung around everywhere, union jacks constantly in your line of vision. It's really... uplifting.

What about you? How was your jubilee weekend? Would you say you're a monarchist or just someone who is grateful for the four-day holiday? Tell me in the comments.



3 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 20, 2012

    reminds me of Robert Graves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be honest... I have NO IDEA who Robert Graves is!;) Would you care to enlighten me?:)

      Delete
  2. AnonymousJune 22, 2012

    Here's a small extract:

    Are omens and nightmares -
    Listening for a knock,
    Waiting for a sign:

    ReplyDelete